[Histonet] Question regarding retrospective testing

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Wed Aug 29 11:13:31 CDT 2012

I have never re-accessioned a case for this. I know that I have went
back at least two years and billed a case for "additional studies".

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Richard
Cartun
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:05 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Question regarding retrospective testing

I know that this had been discussed before, but I believe regulations
have changed and I need to find out what other laboratories are
currently doing when it comes to retrospective testing (histochemical
stains, IHC, molecular testing, etc.) on cytology and surgical pathology
specimens that have already been "signed-out".

When can you add the result(s) and bill the test(s) to the original
pathology report versus re-accessioning the specimen (with a new
date-of-service) and reporting and billing under the new accession
number?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102