[Histonet] Question regarding retrospective testing

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Wed Aug 29 11:43:32 CDT 2012

Rich, From 30 days after signout we require a new accession number or addendum (pathologist decide which to do depending on circumstances. Generally we prefer to make an addendum to the original report). For addendums, since we can't add new tests to the old accession number, the work is done under a non-clinical accession number (ie, research, teaching) and then the information is appended to the original report. The non-clinical number is just a work-around so we don't have a second clinical number to refer to. A second accession number is usually used if extensive testing outside histology is required, ie, molecular path.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center
505 Parnassus Ave, Box 1656
Room S570
San Francisco, CA 94143

(415) 353-1266 (ph)
(415) 514-3403 (fax)
tim.morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Cartun
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:05 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Question regarding retrospective testing

I know that this had been discussed before, but I believe regulations have changed and I need to find out what other laboratories are currently doing when it comes to retrospective testing (histochemical stains, IHC, molecular testing, etc.) on cytology and surgical pathology specimens that have already been "signed-out".

When can you add the result(s) and bill the test(s) to the original pathology report versus re-accessioning the specimen (with a new date-of-service) and reporting and billing under the new accession number?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax