[Histonet] Question regarding retrospective testing

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Wed Aug 29 11:05:16 CDT 2012

I know that this had been discussed before, but I believe regulations have changed and I need to find out what other laboratories are currently doing when it comes to retrospective testing (histochemical stains, IHC, molecular testing, etc.) on cytology and surgical pathology specimens that have already been "signed-out".

When can you add the result(s) and bill the test(s) to the original pathology report versus re-accessioning the specimen (with a new date-of-service) and reporting and billing under the new accession number?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102