[Histonet] RE: MOHS Tech

Vanessa Perez vperez <@t> pathreflab.com
Wed Aug 1 12:25:08 CDT 2012

For grossing all you need are enough college hours in bio and chem. As to CLIA standards and that's what CAP follows if im correct.  They do not have to be a certified histotech to gross tissue.  Unless its required by state regulations.
Requirements are 6 hours of biology and 6 hours of chemistry and then combination of 12 more hours in bio/chem. Total of 24 hours college credit

Vanessa Perez Garcia
Histology Supervisor
Pathology Reference Lab
210-892-3746
210-892-3732
vperez <@t> pathreflab.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bauer, Karen L.
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 12:14 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] MOHS Tech

Hi,

We are looking for MOHS tech and have an applicant that is not a certified histotech.  Our MOHS techs are expected to gross tissues, which requires a certified tech for high complexity testing... according to CAP regulations.

I was wondering what other MOHS techs are doing that are not certified technicians.  I would really like to give this person a chance, but am afraid that I won't be able to because of the CAP standards.

Do anyone have any references, resources, or information that could help me in this matter?

Thank you,

Karen

Karen L. Bauer HTL/HT (ASCP) | Histology Supervisor | Pathology | MOHS Lab Supervisor | Dermatology | Phone: 715-838-3205 | bauer.karen <@t> mayo.edu | Mayo Clinic Health System | 1221 Whipple Street | Eau Claire, WI 54702 | mayoclinichealthsystem.org <http://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/>