[Histonet] AFIP closing

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Sun Sep 11 16:27:02 CDT 2011

I was stationed at AFIP from 1986-91.  I was in the Immuno lab. I thought I
was doing "imunos" when I was stationed in San Antonio, TX (remember the
Dako kits?) I wasn't even close to the things that AFIP was doing. We were
making our own rabbit antibodies. Made up our own link and label from
scratch. Our DAB was order in 5gm powder bottles and we had to prep it under
the fume hood in full PPE. I really learned about immunos there. Even tried
a new method using a lead-based solution in a microwave to open up binding
sites in FFPE tissue. Worked with a new automated immuno stainer from
Fisher. Think it was called the "Brigoti" machine.
I learned  a lot there, but was ecstatic to return to San Antonio.

Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: <cedarwoman <@t> comcast.net>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:04 PM
Subject: [Histonet] AFIP closing

Hi Histonetters, especially Joyce as it seems we may be the 'same vintage' -
but I have to chime in as an old-timer and say how sad I am too about the
AFIP. My histology career essentially started there. I was fortunate enough
to have been trained there in Lee Luna's time, and knew the folks who
literally "wrote the book" (you all know which one I mean, I'm sure, the
Histo Bible). I was also at Walter Reed hospital - which also closed just in
the past few days - which was then housed within the AFIP building, on the
same floor actually. It sure makes me feel both blessed for such excellent
training and at the same time "outmoded" for these institutions to be gone.
There is little to add after that, but I enjoy reading the posts on Histonet
just the same.

Brigit in CA