[Histonet] AFIP closing

Mark Turner mturner <@t> CSILaboratories.com
Mon Sep 12 07:39:56 CDT 2011

Ah, Lee Luna.  Now there was an inspirational person if there ever was one.  His life story should be made into a movie.

I attended an IHC workshop with him in Williamsburg, Virginia in the early 80's and we all went to dinner after the day's training session.  As we waited for our food, he spoke and told us we each get one histology/IHC related question, and then we would enjoy the rest of the evening as friends.  As we went around the table, the questions ranged from very basic to deep and intense, but he had an answer for everyone.  Once that was over, we spent the rest of the evening getting to know each other.  He was a great man!

Mark Turner, HT(ASCP) QIHC
CSI Laboratories
Alpharetta, GA

-----Original Message-----
From: cedarwoman <@t> comcast.net [mailto:cedarwoman <@t> comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 11:05 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] AFIP closing

Hi Histonetters, especially Joyce as it seems we may be the 'same vintage' - but I have to chime in as an old-timer and say how sad I am too about the AFIP.  My histology career essentially started there. I was fortunate enough to have been trained there in Lee Luna's time, and knew the folks who literally "wrote the book" (you all know which one I mean, I'm sure, the Histo Bible). I was also at Walter Reed hospital - which also closed just in the past few days - which was then housed within the AFIP building, on the same floor actually. It sure makes me feel both blessed for such excellent training and at the same time "outmoded" for these institutions to be gone. There is little to add after that, but I enjoy reading the posts on Histonet just the same.

Brigit in CA