AW: [Histonet] Suggestions please...

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sun Oct 23 04:53:36 CDT 2011

I suggest fresh pig-kidney, if you can get it at the butcher.

Kidney is relatively easy to cut and you can prepare small quaders of 2-3 mm
thickness, that are frozen fast enough directly in the cryocut.
After cutting you can wrap it in foil and store it in the fridge (-20°C) for
the next students.

For teaching I think air drying is good enough before HE-staining.
Alternatively you can take 37-40% formaldehyde for a few seconds and rinsing
in tapwater afterwards.

Then 1 min Harris hematoxylin
Rinse in acidified water (dest. water + 1 drop acetic acid)
Rinse in tapwater until blue enough
Rinse in 96% ethanol
15-30 seconds in 2% eosin in 96% ethanol
Rinse in 96% ethanol
2 x rinse in absolute ethanol
1 x rinse in xylol or substitute
Coverslipping with resin-media