[Histonet] Lithium carbonate

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Nov 15 13:19:37 CST 2011

The solubility of Li2CO3 is 1.28% in cold water but only 0.71% in boiling water (data from the Merck Index). I've always kept on the lab shelf a bottle of saturated solution, with a little powder on the bottom. This keeps for ever and can be diluted 20-fold with water for such purposes as blueing haemalum or differentiating luxol fast blue. Lithium carbonate doesn't dissolve in alcohol, but that shouldn't be a problem. It's just a convenient, though rather expensive, source of not-too-alkaline water.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
 = = =