[Histonet] release of tissues back to patient

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 12:57:22 CST 2011

At most places where I have either served as supervisor or tech, this is what we did.

Followed the CAP guidelines for retention of wet tissues. Which is 2 weeks after sign out.

http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?_nfpb=true&cntvwrPtlt_actionOverride=%2Fportlets%2FcontentViewer%2Fshow&_windowLabel=cntvwrPtlt&cntvwrPtlt%7BactionForm.contentReference%7D=policies%2Fpolicy_appPP.html&_state=maximized&_pageLabel=cntvwr

Ive seen request for placenta's, legs etc along with the most common, a gall stone. typically things like gallstones, hardware, things we could render non bio hazardous to humans we would let go with a signed release form (after proper identification after the 2 week guideline) HIPPA rule.

Antthing that would be considered an "organ" such as a placenta ( and yes, to my knowledge it is still illegal for someone to eat them in this country. Dont laugh, some religions do this and they ask for this purpose) I have always refered them to use a morturary service for getting the organ back. Some religions require this for burial purposes. placenta, leg, etc

While we must be sensative to the patients religious views, we also must be sensative to allowing any hazardous material being released into the public.

Hope this helps

Kim Donadio