[Histonet] release of tissues back to patient

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Tue Nov 8 16:40:04 CST 2011

In the state of Connecticut, the only agency licensed to handle human tissue or remains (other than hospitals) is a funeral home.  Therefore, our policy is to only release tissue or remains to a funeral home after the patient or family has made the appropriate arrangements with them.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax

>>> "Hutton, Allison" <AHutton <@t> dh.org> 11/8/2011 12:57 PM >>>
We had a question come up regarding giving patient's back their placentas (patient's request) after delivery.  Our general rule is not to return tissues, except for religious reasons.  We are now trying to come up with a concrete SOP for (or not) returning tissues.  I was curious what other institutions are doing in regards to this topic.  I know laws vary by location but I am looking for a general idea.
Thank you in advance,
Allison