[Histonet] low profile vs. hi profile blades

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Nov 6 13:58:01 CST 2011

In my experience even with the harder high profile blades for denser tissues
such as bone I still prefer to use permanent tungsten carbide blades I have
to send out to get sharpened.  The high profile disposable blades seem to
vibrate too much for me even the heavier tungsten ones for bone.

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215
Aurora, CO 80045
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
www.ihctech.net
www.ihcrg.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Monfils,
Paul
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 8:17 AM
To: Nancy Schmitt; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] low profile vs. hi profile blades

In my opinion it doesn't make a lot of difference which type you use,
since all you actually use is the 2mm or so that extends beyond the edge
of the knife holder.  What is crucial is that you use the type of blade
your knife holder is designed for.  If you try to use high profile
blades in a low profile knife holder, or vice versa, you will have major
problems.  Also, high profile blades are available in a heavier, less
flexible form for cutting denser tissues.  I don't think the low profile
blades offer that option, though I am not certain since I use only the
high profile format.