[Histonet] mast cells for arteries

monettes <@t> mskcc.org monettes <@t> mskcc.org
Wed Nov 2 09:26:58 CDT 2011

Giemsa is what we use routinely for mast cell neoplasms and normal mast cells. For us it works equally well as T blue for diagnostic purposes. Our positive control is a cutaneous mast cell tumor (very common in out animal species), or skin biopsy with allergic dermatitis.

Poorly granulated/degranulated mast cells won't stain with Giemsa or T Blue, and in those cases we use c-Kit IHC

Best,
Sebastien

Sébastien Monette, DMV, MVSc, DACVP
Tri-Institutional Laboratory of Comparative Pathology
Center of Comparative Medicine and Pathology
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Weill Cornell Medical College
The Rockefeller University

1275 York Avenue, Box 270, New York NY 10065
Phone: 646-888-2420
Fax: 646-422-0139
Email MSKCC: monettes <@t> mskcc.org
Email WCMC: sem2010 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Web site: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/92361.cfm

-----Original Message-----
From: Patsy Ruegg [mailto:pruegg <@t> ihctech.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:08 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] mast cells for arteries

Does anyone have a go to stain for Mast Cells besides Tol Blue?  We are
trying to demonstrate the presence of mast cells in human arteries ffpe.
Also, what would be a good positive control to use for mast cell staining,
we used NH Skin and got maybe a few mast cells but I would like to use
something more abundant with mast cells.

Best regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech, LLC
Fitzsimmons BioScience Park
12635 Montview Blvd. Suite 215
Aurora, CO 80010
P-720-859-4060
F-720-859-4110
wk email  <mailto:pruegg <@t> ihctech.net> pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
web site  <http://www.ihctech.net> www.ihctech.net

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the Person(s)
('the intended recipient') to whom it was addressed. Any views or opinions
presented are solely those of the author. It may contain information that is
privileged & confidential within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly
any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message, or
any of its contents, by any person other than the intended recipient may
constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If
you are NOT the intended recipient please contact the sender and dispose of
this e-mail as soon as possible.

     communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If
     computer.