[Histonet] Re: Freezing bath solutions

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:12:37 CDT 2011

Allison Scott after a flash fire with the stuff asks about
alternatives to 2-methylbutane for freezing specimens.

There is indeed a safe alternative, though I haven't had a chance to
try it. I've posted about it on Histonet more than once - here's a
copy of an earlier post of mine:

3M(tm) Novec(tm) Engineered Fluid HFE-7100
This product belongs to a class of fluorocarbons called
"segregated hydrofluoroethers (HFE's)"
According to various MSDS, HFE-7100 is
methyl nonafluoroisobutyl ether
C4F9-O-CH3
It melts and freezes at -135 C, so that it would remain liquid in the
Histobath. (It would freeze solid in liquid nitrogen, however.)
It boils at 60 C., and is listed as non-flammable. It has almost no
vapor pressure at freezing temperatures.
It cost around $230 a gallon a few years ago.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN