[Histonet] Re: Freezing bath solutions

mwhite <@t> mcleodhealth.org mwhite <@t> mcleodhealth.org
Mon May 23 13:46:29 CDT 2011

Allison and Dr. Richmond:

We are using Novec 7000 successfully in our freezing bath and have been
doing so for about 6 months with no major problems.

It does have some annoying traits ; however the safety benefits outweigh
those issues , in my opinion. The issues are: a little more time required
for specimen to freeze, tissues tending to float in the solution, and
evaporation.  I worried that the evaporation would be a big problem , but
it has not .My techs discovered through experimentation that by lowering
the tissue slowly into the fluid, it would stop the flotation problem.

Overall, I would recommend it. 3M has been very helpful to us. (I'm not
being paid in any way to endorse this!!) See below for 3M contact
information.

Additionally, through earlier Histonet inquiries, I was told about a
freezing bath for those of you who still use the old Histobath that is no
longer made. If anyone wants information about it, It's on
www.ftssystems.com and the item is called a "Mult-Cool Bath". We don't have
one , but it looks like it could be a suitable replacement.

Here's our purchasing contact person at 3M:
Christina Cerecedes
1-888-509-5224

Melanie S. White, MT(ASCP)
Laboratory Supervisor, Systems/Anatomic Pathology
McLeod Regional Medical Center
Florence, SC
(843) 777-2072

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with
it may contain legally PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information
intended solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use
of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and/or notify the postmaster (postmaster <@t> mcleodhealth.org), and delete this message and all copies and backups thereof. Thank You.