[Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri May 20 16:24:15 CDT 2011

No problem Amos, I have a one page handout that I use for workshops and
presentations on how to do the math on this, it can be tricky, so if
anyone is interested just e-mail me.  Since we are talking about matched
isotype negative controls, essentially three things need to be taken
into consideration:

1.	The isotype of the primary antibody
2.	The protein concentration of the working dilution of the primary
antibody
3.	The antibody form - (affinity purified, culture supernatant,
ascities fluid, etc.) the isotype negative control needs to match the
primary antibody - some spec sheets list appropriate isotype negative
control reagents some do not

There is one caveat that I would like to address for those that are
working with animal tissues - you need to check the spec sheet on your
negative control reagents to make sure that it does not cross react with
the species you are working with.  If it does then you may get staining
in your negative control slide.

Here is a table that was generated from one of the older versions of the
dako handbook that addresses the antibody form and suggested negative
control reagents.

Primary Antibody Type

Suggested Negative Control Reagent

Monoclonal Mouse - produced in ascites

Antibody produced in ascites, same isotype as the primary antibody  OR

Normal nonimmune mouse serum

Monoclonal Mouse -

produced in tissue culture

Antibody produced in tissue culture, same isotype as the primary
antibody

Polyclonal Rabbit or Goat - immunoglobulin fraction

Normal rabbit or goat immunoglobulin fraction

Solid-phase absorbed Polyclonal Rabbit - immunoglobulin fraction

Rabbit immunoglobulin fraction - solid phase absorbed

Polyclonal Rabbit - whole serum

Normal or nonimmune rabbit serum, whole serum

Hope this helps, and everyone have a great weekend

Liz

Manager

Premier Laboratory, LLC

PO Box 18592