[Histonet] cost to produce one block

CHRISTIE GOWAN christiegowan <@t> msn.com
Thu May 19 15:40:11 CDT 2011

Hi Martha,
She is getting different responses because institutions pay different amounts for their consumables depending on the quantity they use and any vendor agreements they may have. I broke down my cost by utilizing a years worth of purchasing information and number of blocks produced for that year. The information included all the consumables used to produce a paraffin block as well as labor. We actually broke down the cost for everything from grossing to glass slide for each CPT code. Of course one does not need to use a whole years worth of data but that is how I did it. I would be happy to help her if she wants to talk about it off line. Thanks.
Christie Gowan
UAB Hospital
205.934.4991
cgowan <@t> uabmc.edu