[Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question

Jean-Martin Lapointe jm.lapointe <@t> accellab.com
Thu May 19 15:14:36 CDT 2011

I think that this is indeed what is happening here, that there is confusion between a negative control stain (positive tissue, stained without the primary ab) and a negative control tissue (tissue known to not express the marker, stained normally).

I had assumed we were talking about the former, because this is what the pathologist cited by Curt wrote in his email. While a known negative control tissue is useful in an IHC run, I am somewhat alarmed to gather from the responses sent that a section without primary is NOT being included in standard IHC runs at your respective labs. To me, this is an absolute necessity in order to properly evaluate IHC results. But that might be because I work in research rather than in a clinical setting, where i'm assuming that priorities are different.
Also, I do not agree with Glen's post, for the reasons outlined by Pete.

Jean-Martin

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:37:38 -0500
From: "Sebree Linda A" <LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question
To: "Dawson, Glen" <GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com>,

I basically agree with you Glen.  I think some people are mixing up
Negative Reagent Controls (substituting negative serum, Ab diluent, etc.
for antibody) and Negative Tissue Controls (substituting a tissue known
to be negative for the antibody being run).  It CAN be confusing.

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
DB1-223 VAH
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792