[Histonet] GREAT B5 substitute

Akemi Allison akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 12:07:38 CDT 2011

Hi All,
I used to use B5, Zenker's and Helly's for years on LN and BM biopsies.  I
wanted to stop using mercury in our department, but didn't want to compromise
the quality of the results we were getting.

I was interested in using fixatives and decalcification products that would not
effect IHC results. At the suggestion of Dr. Elaine Jaffe, Chief
Hematopathologist from NIH, I tried 2 products from BBC Biochemical.  I did
parallel studies on bilateral BM bx's using B•Plus Fixative™
and RapidCal•Immuno™, and then B5 fixative and EDTA decal solution, and then
Zenker's fixative.  We then did parallel studies for IHC.  We ran a panel of
Ab's on specimens which were treated with each of the solutions.

The pathologists concluded that B•Plus Fixative™ produces superb fixation for
hematopoietic tissues and the RapidCal•Immuno™ does not interfere with IHC
staining.  In some cases, the results on the IHC's were better on some of the
Ab's using these products too.

It only takes 2-3 hours of fixation time for BM biopsies.  After prefixing, they
can go directly into RapidCal•Immuno™ for 45 minutes to 1 hour, washed in
running water for 5 minutes, and then continue to be processed as normal
starting off in 10% formalin.  Just a note: This product is a rapid decalcifier
designed to preserve immunogenicity at a maximum while accomplishing rapid
decalcification. It is designed specifically for bone marrow biopsies and LN
biopsies.

By the way, I am not on BBC's payroll.  I am always on a quest to improve
patient care!

 Akemi Allison BS, HT(ASCP)HTL
Director
Phoenix Lab Consulting