[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Tue Jun 28 16:03:34 CDT 2011

" ...a single histotech should be able to do 100 blocks an hour "

First clarify what "do" means in this context. Then ask for a copy of their research and sources to see how they got an obviously ridiculous number.

Then ask Rene Busa (he's on this listserve) for copies of his published papers on the subject.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Stella Mireles
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:49 PM
To: Joanne
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

Joanne is not alone.

The lab I work at has informed us that due to their own research, a single
histotech should be able to do 100 blocks an hour.
I'm not sure if they expect embedding, trimming, writing slides, sectioning
and manual staining in this goal.

I am a seasoned histotech, and have tried to speak to my lab manager and lab
supervisor, (both are med. techs and have very little insight into what is
involved in producing a high quality slide), but their goal remains the
same.

I have an idea:  I feel like printing some of your responses to Joanne
question and showing them that their goal is unattainable as well.

Any other suggestions.