[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Jun 28 16:14:37 CDT 2011

Stella

I would ask for a copy of the research and see where they came up with that number, it's not obtainable even if it was just to section one section of a  block that has already been trimmed in.  I worked at a Clinical CRO back in the late 80's and the goal was 10 blocks per hour (embed, section, stain, coverslip and label) and other tasks related to daily histology duties.  This was easy to achieve.

On a good day and I'm a pretty quick tech I can estimate that once I trim in the blocks and if I have only one section per block to cut. I can cut about 45-60 blocks in an hour.

I own a small research based histo lab that is very quality driven. I place no time frame on the techs only that the work needs to be completed in a timely manner.  Many of our projects are so specific that it may take us about 5 minutes just to trim in one block since we need to section to an exact area within a tissue (optic nerve head in mouse and rat eyes).  We have microscopes next to each microtome so we can view unstained slides to see where we are at in the block.  I would rather spend more time trimming in the block to the correct area than guess and end up having to recut the samples.

To put it in a nutshell it may take a bit more time to cut a quality section, but that time is well spent since recuts of poorly cut sections will only lead to additional work, increased turn around time and increased costs.

Just my two cents

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC