[Histonet] How many tissues an histo tech is suppose to cut per

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Sun Jun 26 00:14:07 CDT 2011

I understand your frustration and think that the lab you work at, or any lab, that uses production standards MUST minimally explain how the standard is set and provide you a training and competency plan/schedule to attain the standard. If that has not been provided, I suggest you request a conversation with your Human Resources representative and/or the Lab Manager. You must have a clear understanding of the expectations set for you. That said, I do not understand why any lab would set the standard at microtomy by number of blocks cut, blocks should be used when setting the embedding task standard. I believe the correct unit of measure is the slide. My experience in the Histology lab is that every block can be different (some GI or Prostate labs are an exception) and even if they are not, the number of slides produced is a more accurate unit to count. My MAJOR concern is setting a production standard without coupling it with a QUALITY standard. Production standards mean nothing if the highest quality cannot be attained and maintained throughout the length of task performance. The development of Production and Quality Standards should be a reflection of the entire group of trained and competent employees performing the task. This includes ALL employees, new hire to highest level of competency. I also think it a mistake to set task Standards at a maximum level. Task standards should set as a minimum expectation level with encouragement and reward to perform above standard. The goal of developing Production/Quality Standards must always be employee improvement and reduction in defects/errors which will always lead to improved patient care.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)