AW: [Histonet] Tissue Shriveling in Paraffin

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Fri Jun 24 09:24:37 CDT 2011

That sounds like insufficient infiltration with paraffin.
Melt your block again and let it sit in paraffin for a few hours or even
over night.
Most time this helps to get better sections.
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Michelle
Aono
Gesendet: Freitag, 24. Juni 2011 15:28
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Tissue Shriveling in Paraffin

I was cutting some bone/joint tissue and noticed that the cartilaginous
portion was concave/indented, instead of flush with the rest of the
block surface.  Even as I continued to cut that portion always seemed a
little sunken into the block face and all the sections crumbled.  I
didn't seal the block after I was done and when I came back the next day
the entire tissue sample was shriveled and pulling away from the
paraffin.  I'm new, but in the few bone sections I've done I've never
had this happen!  Any ideas?

~Shelly