[Histonet] Tissue Shriveling in Paraffin

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Mon Jun 27 09:27:53 CDT 2011

You could have got the tissue wet or to hydrated.  Sometimes after you
face the block if you leave it on the ice to long and let moisture get
into the tissue then cut the slide, it looks ok at the time, but once
the moisture gets back out of the tissue it will start to look concave.
If you are going to be leaving your blocks on the ice for a long time
just put a 4X4 or paper towel under the block, this helps.
Good luck =)

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Michelle
Aono
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 8:28 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue Shriveling in Paraffin

I was cutting some bone/joint tissue and noticed that the cartilaginous
portion was concave/indented, instead of flush with the rest of the
block surface.  Even as I continued to cut that portion always seemed a
little sunken into the block face and all the sections crumbled.  I
didn't seal the block after I was done and when I came back the next day
the entire tissue sample was shriveled and pulling away from the
paraffin.  I'm new, but in the few bone sections I've done I've never
had this happen!  Any ideas?

~Shelly