AW: [Histonet] Oil Red O for FS on Muscle

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Thu Jan 27 12:27:04 CST 2011

Hi Akemi,
we don't do Oil Red O, but the Sudan III in an aceton-ethanol mixture. To
prevent the precipitates on the slide, we stain in a plastic coplin jar with
a screwed tap. The dye-precipitates accumulate on the ground. We take care
not to mix them up while putting in the slide. So we need no filtering
before staining. We only stain frozens of lung without fixation.

I don’t know the formula of Oil Red O solution, but perhaps it can be
handled like the sudan III.

bye
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Akemi
Allison
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 26. Jänner 2011 18:16
An: histonet
Betreff: [Histonet] Oil Red O for FS on Muscle

Happy hump day!

Does anyone have a good procedure for Oil Red O for FS on Muscle.
The  procedure the lab I am working with is having a great deal of
problems with their muscle biopsy panel.  I am trouble-shooting some
of the issues for the 1-Step Trichrome 3.4 pH, NADH, AT Pase,  I am
working with them with pH issues.

The Oil Red O is very problematic.  They are mixing before use and
filtering with 42 Watman paper, but there is a lot of residual
background on the slides.  Also, they were not fixing the sections
with 37% formaldehyde, even though the procedure calls for it.  Could
you share who you get the stain from also.  Your assistance is
greatly appreciated.

Akemi

Akemi Allison BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
Director