[Histonet] Billing question

Houston, Ronald Ronald.Houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org
Thu Jan 6 13:25:44 CST 2011

We've been repeatedly told by Compliance that if a pathologist (or a clinician) orders a test, the test result must be included in the report and the test must be billed for; even if the result is non-contributory.

Ronnie Houston
Anatomic Pathology Manager
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Columbus OH 43205
(614) 722 5450

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Drew Meyer
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:40 PM
To: Weems, Joyce
Cc: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Billing question

Hey Joyce,

My understanding has always been that if the pathologist specifically
mentions the stain in the report, then it's OK to charge all the fees.
However, if the pathologist chooses to leave any mention of the stain/immuno
in the report, then you can't bill for it.  So if the pathologist mentions a
specific stain was done, but that the findings were negative, you can still
charge.  In the case of an exhausted tumor, I think the ultimate discretion
comes to whether or not the pathologist chooses to mention it in the
report.  That's just from my experience, but I would love to hear how others
are handling instances such as these, too!

Drew

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:22, Weems, Joyce <JWeems <@t> sjha.org> wrote:

> When you have performed a special stain or immuno that does not help the
> pathologist (tumor exhausted, etc) do you still charge for the technical
> component and the pathologist credits the professional fee? Just curious..
>
> Happy New Year, Everyone!
>
> Thanks! j
>

> Joyce Weems
> Pathology Manager
> Saint Joseph's Hospital
> 5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
> Atlanta, GA 30342
> 678-843-7376 - Phone
> 678-843-7831 - Fax
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> This e-mail, including any attachments is the
> property of Catholic Health East and is intended
> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
> It may contain information that is privileged and
> confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
> disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
> not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
> reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.

The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to
maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the
information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the
intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use,
disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Thank you.