[Histonet] Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

Rathborne, Toni trathborne <@t> somerset-healthcare.com
Tue Jan 4 11:52:47 CST 2011

If you're worried about hands being exposed to toluene, the argument would be to use gloves. You may find your TAT to be longer, in which case you could cite productivity as a reason for automation.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Gagnon,
Eric
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:43 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

I should add to my earlier post this morning:
-we do use an automated coverslipper for our routine HPS staining, which is several hundred slides daily as well
-we do have a fumehood over the main manual coverslipping area
-we have had airborne solvent levels measured, but my concern relates to direct manual exposure i.e. hands in toluene
-just because we can manually coverslip quickly doesn't mean the prolonged exposure is safe

Thanks for your answers, keep 'em coming
Eric

>Has anyone successfully lobbied their institution for an automated coverslipper for safety reasons?

>Still coverslipping manually-stained IHC, neuro autopsy and special stains, sometimes hundreds per day. There has to be a better way.  Under budget constraints. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has used concerns about histology staff safety, specifically techs under direct exposure to toluene/xylene, to enable purchase of an automated/robot coverslipper.

>I'd be interested in anyone's experience with this approach, successfully or unsuccessfully.

>Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any included attachments are from Somerset Medical Center
and are intended only for the addressee.  The information contained in this
message is confidential and may contain privileged, confidential,
proprietary and/or trade secret information entitled to protection and/or
exemption from disclosure under applicable law.  Unauthorized forwarding,
printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the addressee, please
promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error
by e-mail or you may call Somerset Medical Center's computer Help Desk
at 908-685-2200, ext. 4050.

Be sure to visit Somerset Medical Center's Web site -
www.somersetmedicalcenter.com - for the most up-to-date news,
event listings, health information and more.