[Histonet] Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

Gagnon, Eric gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET
Tue Jan 4 11:43:23 CST 2011

I should add to my earlier post this morning:
-we do use an automated coverslipper for our routine HPS staining, which is several hundred slides daily as well
-we do have a fumehood over the main manual coverslipping area
-we have had airborne solvent levels measured, but my concern relates to direct manual exposure i.e. hands in toluene
-just because we can manually coverslip quickly doesn't mean the prolonged exposure is safe

Thanks for your answers, keep 'em coming
Eric

>Has anyone successfully lobbied their institution for an automated coverslipper for safety reasons?

>Still coverslipping manually-stained IHC, neuro autopsy and special stains, sometimes hundreds per day. There has to be a better way.  Under budget constraints. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has used concerns about histology staff safety, specifically techs under direct exposure to toluene/xylene, to enable purchase of an automated/robot coverslipper.

>I'd be interested in anyone's experience with this approach, successfully or unsuccessfully.

>Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital
Kingston, Ontario, Canada