[Histonet] Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

Sheila Haas micropathlabs <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 11:38:54 CST 2011

Sorry, no help here. We have lab assistants that manually coverslip and
excellent ventilation in our newer facility. It is the position of the director
that a lab assistant is cheaper than an automated instrument! Go figure!

Sheila Haas
Laboratory Supervisor
MicroPath Laboratories, Inc.

________________________________
From: "Gagnon, Eric" <gagnone <@t> KGH.KARI.NET>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 12:24:21 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Manual Coverslipping Safety Issues

Has anyone successfully lobbied their institution for an automated coverslipper
for safety reasons?

Still coverslipping manually-stained IHC, neuro autopsy and special stains,
sometimes hundreds per day. There has to be a better way.  Under budget
constraints. That's why I'm wondering if anyone has used concerns about
histology staff safety, specifically techs under direct exposure to
toluene/xylene, to enable purchase of an automated/robot coverslipper.

I'd be interested in anyone's experience with this approach, successfully or
unsuccessfully.

Eric Gagnon MLT
Histology Laboratory
Kingston General Hospital