[Histonet] Short term tissue storage PBS???

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 15:08:47 CST 2011

Nothing has changed, it is just "one of those things" people do because of fundamental ignorance.
PBS is not a preservative and could even favor bacterial growth (depending of the time elapsed).
After proper fixation, tissues should be placed in EthOL 70% as a general practice.<P>René J.

--- On Wed, 2/23/11, Jo-Ann Bader, Ms. <jo-ann.bader <@t> mcgill.ca> wrote:

From: Jo-Ann Bader, Ms. <jo-ann.bader <@t> mcgill.ca>
Subject: [Histonet] Short term tissue storage PBS???
To: "Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 3:57 PM

Hi All,

It has come to my attention recently that some of our histology clients are submitting their samples in PBS after fixation, instead of 70% alcohol.  When I ask them why they don't know and say they have been told to.  I have always  followed the procedure that after fixation specimens are stored, short term in 70% alcohol, until you are ready to process them. Has something changed lately that I am not aware of?

Jo-Ann Bader
Histology Co-Ordinator
Goodman Cancer Centre
McGill University 1160 Pine Ave. W - Rm 312 (3355)
Montreal, QC, Canada
H3G 1Y6
Tel: 514-398-8270