[Histonet] RE: Short term tissue storage PBS???

Anatoli Gleiberman AGleiberman <@t> cbiolabs.com
Wed Feb 23 15:39:49 CST 2011

Jo-Ann,
Nothing is changed, but storage in PBS does not affect neither morphology nor antigens. I used to keep some neutral formalin- or formaldehyde-PBS fixed specimens  up to 1 year in sterile PBS at +4 C without any visible changes. So - don't worry. It will be fine.

Anatoli Gleiberman, PhD
Director of Histopathology
Cleveland Biolabs, Inc
73 High Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
phone:716-849-6810 ext.354
fax:716-849-6817
e-mail: AGleiberman <@t> cbiolabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jo-Ann Bader, Ms.
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:57 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Short term tissue storage PBS???

Hi All,

It has come to my attention recently that some of our histology clients are submitting their samples in PBS after fixation, instead of 70% alcohol.  When I ask them why they don't know and say they have been told to.  I have always  followed the procedure that after fixation specimens are stored, short term in 70% alcohol, until you are ready to process them. Has something changed lately that I am not aware of?

Jo-Ann Bader
Histology Co-Ordinator
Goodman Cancer Centre
McGill University 1160 Pine Ave. W - Rm 312 (3355)
Montreal, QC, Canada
H3G 1Y6
Tel: 514-398-8270