[Histonet] Re: Decal Solution for Bone Marrow Core Biopsies

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 06:43:39 CST 2011

Marcia Fisher at El Centro Regional Medical Center (at the
southeastern tip of California) asks:

>>We would like to find another type of decal solution for our bone marrow core biopsies. The current solution, which is also used on routine bone specimens, is leaching out the iron deposits. What are others using for BM and times used? We currently use 45 minutes to one hour after fixation. These are adult BM cores only.<<

Any practical decalcifier is going to remove some hemosiderin iron.
You need to do the iron stain (Perls prussian blue reaction) on a
smear AND on the clot section or marrow particle section.

"Decal" is the name of a proprietary decalcifier. It should not be
used as a generic term for a decalcifying solution.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN