[Histonet] Formalin-fixed paraffin embedded question

Grantham, Andrea L - (algranth) algranth <@t> email.arizona.edu
Mon Feb 21 16:25:22 CST 2011

Noel,
I agree. Your tissue isn't fixed well enough and the dehydration steps seem long, especially since at some point you split the brain and the spinal cord. After perfusion immerse in 10% NBF (a few changes) at least 24 hrs (I like to leave it in formalin longer). If you are fixing the brain whole remember that formalin is a slow fixative and it takes some time to penetrate all the way into the brain even if it was perfused first. I found that by combining perfusion with immersion in the fixative the brain fixed and cut better. Before you start dehydrating, try washing the tissue in running water at least an hour (or longer). Then start your dehydration.
Xylene makes tissue brittle and overnite in xylene I think isn't doing you any favors. I use Clear Rite 3 for my clearing agent.
Are you hand processing? Do do have access to vacuum infiltration? I have a protocol for mouse brains but it is for processing on a VIP.
When cutting try soaking the block at room temp in water to which a bit of glycerin has been added. I usually don't place the brains on ice but just in cool water and my room is always cold.
I read here on histonet that people let their tissues soak for a few minutes but with mouse tissue you need to soak it longer. I don't really time the soaking but it is way longer than a few minutes. Then you might try wiping the surface of the block with a gauze sponge or even a cotton tipped applicator that was dipped in the soaking water in between sections as you are cutting your ribbon - don't make it too wet just moist.

Andi