[Histonet] Formalin-fixed paraffin embedded question

sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com sgoebel <@t> mirnarx.com
Mon Feb 21 15:17:54 CST 2011

Wow!!  Processing by hand...I didn't think people actually did this
anymore?  I think what your problem might be is that you are not fixing
the tissue before you submerge it into alcohol for those long periods of
time.  The "splintering" artifact as you describe probably means that
your tissues are severely over dehydrated.  This is why when you float
them in the water bath for a minute or two it goes away for awhile in
the block (basically until you get to the over dehydrated tissue again).
Try fixing the samples in 10% formalin for at least overnight before you
dunk them into alcohol.
Good Luck!!

Sarah Goebel, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist