[Histonet] Formalin-fixed paraffin embedded question

Margaret Blount mab70 <@t> medschl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 03:02:04 CST 2011

I agree with all the comments so far, and I think all the steps are far
too long, particularly the overnight in molten wax. You are effectively
cooking your samples. I would avoid overnight in 100% ethanol too; it
will tend to harden the tissue.
Get hold of the manual for animal tissues available from the Society for
histotechnology. I found this invaluable and now most of my tissues can
be sectioned without soaking at all. I just chill them slightly, if
necessary.

Good luck with your samples.

Margaret

Miss Margaret Blount