[Histonet] Help with OCT problem

Liz Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu Feb 10 13:49:08 CST 2011

Donna

I have seen soft or rather sticky OCT samples in the past.  If you
freeze in isopentane and don't let the isopentane evaporate off the
samples prior to wrapping the sample in foil, that excess isopentane
changes the OCT, it makes it sticky.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, Colorado 80308
office (303) 682-3949
fax (303) 682-9060
www.premierlab.com

Ship to Address:
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, Colorado 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Reynolds,Donna M
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:39 PM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Help with OCT problem

Has anyone ever experienced OCT blocks that cut like they are soft. I
have turned the cyrostat down 10 degrees lower than usual and they are
still soft. Really weird part is that I have 20 blocks in this group and
some are soft and others are just fine. Tried changing angle, new blade
nothing helps. When I finally manage to get a decent section and pick it
up on the slide, the OCT around the tissue want even pick up smooth it
wrinkles really bad.
I tried just a block of OCT that I froze on a chuck and it cut great.  I
am clueless as to what is going on.
Samples were frozen by someone else and brought to me to be cut.
Donna Reynolds Core IHC Lab
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston TX
Research lab
713-192-8106.