[Histonet] Using methyl benzoate on a VIP 1000

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Sat Dec 3 00:28:06 CST 2011

Methyl benzoate smells really awful. Its only virtue is a high refractive index, which can make it useful for storing stained whole-mounts of small objects like chick embryos. Methyl salicylate (refractive index only slightly lower) is generally preferred because its  wintergreen smell is quite pleasant. A recently introduced high refractive index fluid is 2,2'-thiodiethanol, which is miscible with water (Staudt et al 2007 Microscopy Research and Technique 70: 1-9).

If you want a viscous and non-volatile clearing agent that remains in the wax and may help with cutting thin sections of very hard specimens, cedarwood oil is traditional, but terpineol (cheaper) is as good. I've used both, and agree with the recommendations in big old textbooks of microtechnique, especially Peter Gray (Microtomist's Formulary and Guide, 1954) and Manfred Gabe (Histological Techniques, 1976).

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada
 = = =