[Histonet] Processing of derm specimens

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Aug 2 18:00:07 CDT 2011

That processing schedule should be fine for skin samples, we add an additional 100% alcohol step so we have three absolute steps at 1 hour each (I would remove one 95%).  Thickness of your samples is also important they should be around 3mm in thickness if they are thicker than that they may not process properly.  The other thing is that your solutions need to be fresh for samples to process properly.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308-1592
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
www.premierlab.com

Ship to address:

1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of CrochiereSteve <@t> aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:46 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Processing of derm specimens

I have recently had a problem with my skin specimens being
"underprocessed". I use a Leica 300ASP. The schedule is as follows:
10% NBF x 2 for 1 hour ea.
80% Reagent Alcohol for 1 hour
95% Reagent Alcohol x 2 for 1 hour each
100% Reagent Alcohol for 1 hour each
Xylene x 3 for 1 hour each
Paraffin x 3 for 1 hour each

The specimens are "mushy and swell on the ice"
Any input is welcome.

send response to :
_scrochiere <@t> nedlc.com_ (mailto:scrochiere <@t> nedlc.com)

thanks