[Histonet] Cresyl violet stain on 50 um mouse brain sections

Candice Smoots candice_camille <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 12:51:50 CDT 2011

Hi, we do this stain all the time in our lab. We only use gelatin coated slides. You can purchase them or you can coat them yourselves. Our sections were doing the same thing until we started using the gelatin coated slides. We no longer have that problem. I hope this helps!

I remain yours truely,

Candice Camille

From: "Michael, Susan" <michaels <@t> janelia.hhmi.org>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 8:11 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Cresyl violet stain on 50 um mouse brain sections

I am having trouble keeping my sections on the slides when I stain with cresyl violet.  These are fixed frozen sections, 50 um, dried overnight on plus slides, overnight in 1 to 1 alcohol/chloroform, then rehydrated through 100, 95 ETOHs then to water.  Into the cresyl violet solution, then 100% to 95% ETOH.  Is it the water?  Is it the slides?  Any suggestions?

Susan