[Histonet] FORMALIN DISPOSAL

Podawiltz, Thomas tpodawiltz <@t> lrgh.org
Wed Sep 22 12:00:05 CDT 2010

Our gross room is set up a with a fume hood that runs the entire length of one wall, this includes our sink. When we need to dump tissue, we plug the drain then lay down our formalin pads to collect any spills. We place a large specimen container on the pads add a large screen then pour off the formalin into the container. We use another container to collect the various parts and when full we cap it then place in the waste box that gets incinerated.
The waste formalin is then de-formalized (Surgipath product), aldehyde and ph are check and if they pass we can then drain dispose. If not, we collect it as waste which is then stored in drums to be hauled away. This procedure was approved by our state DES.

If you cannot dump the tissue under a hood like this, you will need to wear a chemical respirator, all of my staff have their own full face respirators and have been fit tested for them.

Tom Podawiltz HT (ASCP)
Histology Section Head/Laboratory Safety Officer
LRGHealthcare
603-524-3211 ext: 3220

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sara Baldwin/mhhcc.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:56 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] FORMALIN DISPOSAL

Histonetters:
Our disposal company for formalin wants us to separate our stored tissues from the formalin and then pour the formalin into a drum.
Does anyone have a procedure that doesn't expose your histotechs when pouring formalin off stored tissues, the company states there isn't a container that we can use to put the formalin and tissues in without being non-complient.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
Pathology Supervisor
Kathy Baldwin, SCT (ASCP)
Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center
sbaldwin <@t> mhhcc.org
Ph 812-482-0210, 482-0216,  Fax 812-482-0232,
Pager 812-481-0897
Confidential information, Authorized use only.