[Histonet] FORMALIN DISPOSAL

Laurie Colbert laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Wed Sep 22 11:48:02 CDT 2010

Kathy,
I'm not sure where you're located, but I am in California and we use a
disposal company called Stericycle.  They separate the waste for us and
take both the specimens and formalin. I believe Stericycle works in
other states besides California.
Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sara
Baldwin/mhhcc.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:56 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] FORMALIN DISPOSAL

Histonetters:
Our disposal company for formalin wants us to separate our stored
tissues from the formalin and then pour the formalin into a drum.
Does anyone have a procedure that doesn't expose your histotechs when
pouring formalin off stored tissues, the company states there isn't a
container that we can use to put the formalin and tissues in without
being non-complient.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
Pathology Supervisor
Kathy Baldwin, SCT (ASCP)
Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center
sbaldwin <@t> mhhcc.org
Ph 812-482-0210, 482-0216,  Fax 812-482-0232,
Pager 812-481-0897
Confidential information, Authorized use only.