[Histonet] FORMALIN DISPOSAL

Daniel Prieto dprieto <@t> fcien.edu.uy
Wed Sep 22 15:15:39 CDT 2010

You could try oxidizing formalin with 5% sodium hypochlorite to CO2 and
formic acid, which in turn can be neutralized with sodium bicarbonate
and poured down the drain. This can be performed under a regular fume
hood which I assume is something you cannot do with a large drum. Of
course disposal of tissues should be checked for compatibility with
local regulations.
cheers,
Daniel

Daniel Prieto
Laboratorio de Cultivo de Tejidos
Departamento de Biologia Celular y Molecular
Facultad de Ciencias - Universidad de la Republica
Uruguay