[Histonet] Picrosirius Red Staining of mixed archaeological residues. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Birgitta Stephenson bstephen <@t> fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 16 00:17:54 CDT 2010

Hello Histonetters,

I have been using Picrosirius Red stain to detect collagen fibers in
residues lifted from archaeological artefacts. The protocol has been
adapted for staining slides rather than tissue samples however I am
curious if it is normal that everything on the slide stains red. I
realise that the collagen fibers can be easily detected in cross
polarised and part polarised light ( yellow and orange = large fibers
and green the thinner fibers and all are highly birefringent).  While
only the collagen changes colours in cross polarised light I am
wondering if it is normal that everything on the slide picks up the
stain to some extent and turns red (pink) when viewed in plane polarised
light? This includes seed parts, plant lipids and ochre? Any thoughts or
ideas?

Thanks

Regards

Birgitta Stephenson  Archaeological Microscopy Research Lab University
of Queensland

Birgitta Stephenson
Pharmacist Advisor
Veteran Affairs Pharmacy Advisory Centre
Phone (07) 3223 8435
Fax      (07) 3223 8651

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
     for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
     please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
     a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise
     stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications  and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial
electronic messages.
5. To unsubscribe from emails from the Department of Veterans' Affairs
(DVA) please go to
             http://www.dva.gov.au/contact_us/Pages/feedback.aspx
, and advise which mailing list you would like to unsubscribe from.

6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.
--
  Birgitta Stephenson
  bstephen <@t> fastmail.fm

--