[Histonet] mislabeling of slides and blocks

Tim Higgins higginst <@t> amapath.com
Fri Oct 8 13:10:27 CDT 2010

Glad I never worked at that lab, never would have made to a supervisory
role.

I have to agree with Sarah, two infractions in a 12 month period is
extremely severe. I don't care if you have Vantage or any one of the million
tracking software packages out there.  Especially with the shortage of
qualified Histotechs out there to be so picky is not good.  Anyone that has
worked for a busy Histology lab knows mistakes happen, we all want them
caught prior to going out but there are so many areas that these mistakes
can happen.

We do have a policy on mislabeled slides (or any infraction), there is a
verbal warning, written warning, final warning and then if it happens again
we would go to more of an extreme conclusion.  That being said, we also
would go over with them how the mistake happened, ways to avoid that type of
mistake and then track that employee's slides more closely.

Now if an employee made the first mistake in January and the 4th one in
December of that same year I am still not sure we would dismiss that person.
Especially if than employee in good standing, maybe there are extenuating
circumstances going on.

Two and out is pretty severe.

Just my two cents!

Thanks,