[Histonet] PAS STAIN

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Wed Oct 6 15:28:23 CDT 2010

I make my Schiff's from scratch and store it in the refrigerator.
I use a minimum amount of charcoal and I heat it in the oven at over 100
C the night before to be sure it is nice and dry.
I make periodic acid fresh that day.
I make bisulfite rinses fresh that day.
Aqueous formalin for 48 hours at room temp. is OK for rat and mouse
liver glycogen, I don't know about other species. Slices of liver should
be thin.
When in doubt formalin+alcohol+acetic acid is an excellent fixative.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.