[Histonet] xylene

Joyce Cline Joyce.Cline <@t> wchsys.org
Thu Nov 11 11:45:28 CST 2010

We use Formula 83 and we still have to use Xyene to remove coverslips from slides that are more than 2 days old.

Joyce Cline
Hagerstown Medical Laboratory
301-665-4980
fax 301-665-4941
joyce.cline <@t> wchsys.org
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Brandi Higgins [brandihiggins <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:22 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] xylene

Good Morning Histonet!

We use xylene substitute for almost everything, but I still find that we
need to keep some xylene on hand for certain tasks, especially removal of
coverslips.  We use Formula 83 for everything else, but I have let slides
soak in Formula 83 in the past for a multiple days and still couldn't remove
the coverslip.  Are there any labs out there that are completely xylene
free, and if so, what substitute are you using and are you able to remove
coverslips with the substitute?  My employer would like us to be 100% xylene
free, but I feel we need the xylene for these few tasks.  Thanks in advance
for you help.

Brandi Higgins