[Histonet] unstained paraffin tissue slides storage--why cold?

Sebree Linda A LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Thu Nov 4 09:40:05 CDT 2010

Some antigens degrade and lose antigenicity in paraffin sections when
stored at RT.  Storage at below freezing temps slows this process down .

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
DB1-223 VAH
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Emily
Sours
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:08 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] unstained paraffin tissue slides storage--why
cold?

Can I ask what the point of storing paraffin sections in freezing cold
storage?
They are wax sections, which never see any type of cold, so I don't
understand the point of this.  I do understand putting them at 4 degrees
prevent mold, but -80 seems excessive.
We have kept our slides at room temperature for years and years, but
these
slides do not have an albumin coat (which I can see getting moldy), just
chemical coating.
Fixing for paraffin and paraffin infiltration seems to keep antigens
safe
without refrigeration because it's so intense, but that's just
conjecture on
my part.

Emily
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too
dark