[Histonet] need tips for cross-sectioning of cortical bone

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Tue May 11 10:37:14 CDT 2010

You did not say whether these are cross sections or mid sagittal?  Cross
sections are always tougher.  Key is to make sure the cortical bone is well
processed and infiltrated with a hard paraffin e.g. Tissue Prep 2 (Fisher
Scientific ala Thermo Scientific).  Try this old bonehead trick is cut tiny
V-shaped notches with razor blade or used microtome blade on the sides of
block, parallel to the blade.  You may have to do this top and bottom too.
Take care to NOT make these notches huge.  This permits the paraffin of each
section in ribbon to expand, relax onto the water bath along with the bone
section.

Another trick is try laying section on RT 5 to 10% alcohol, pick up on
slide, then go to warm water bath, lower section slowly to flattening.  The
key here is to NOT let upper part of paraffin of a section totally release
from slide while going into warm water (at an angle) in other words, the
section flattens while paraffin portion is still attached to slide during
flattening.

Also, change the blade frequently.  Sharpest possible edge helps, and
hopefully high profile which is more stable than low profile for decalcified
bone microtomy.

Good luck

Gayle M. Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)