[Histonet] Cover glass

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Wed Mar 24 15:33:35 CDT 2010

I use VWR VistaVision coverslips (for fluorescent imaging) and had noticed
some dust/debris on them that would autofluoresce and give false positives
with some of my stains.  The problem disappeared when I got into the habit
wiping all my coverslips with EtOH before mounting...this may be cumbersome
if you're doing a lot of slides, however. But it has worked really well.

Regards,
Merced

--On Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:24 PM -0400 Helen Fedor <hfedor <@t> jhmi.edu>
wrote:

> Hello, Our lab does IHC staining in house and have had zero problems with
> our Fisher brand cover slips until recently. We've tried both Fisher and
> Corning cover slips and what appears to be dust or imperfections in the
> glass are found on both brands. This is creating false positives for us,
> because when the positive staining is low it is difficult to impossible
> to tell the imperfections from the staining itself.
>
> Any advice will be welcome.
>
> --
> Helen

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician III
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.