[Histonet] Anti-human abs work on porcine tissue

Merced M Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 18 09:45:55 CDT 2010

This is great FYI, Jan.  Our lab works a lot with pig tissues, too. And we,
too, have found in our lab that a number of human Abs appear to work on pig
tissues.  Still, I can definitely appreciate the difficulties in finding a
pig-specific antibody, dealing the unknowns of cross-reactivity and degree
of homology.

Jan, I will certainly keep you in mind when we are seaching for a
porcine-reacting antibody! Thanks for sharing that.

Regards,
Merced

--On Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:48 AM -0500 Jan Shivers <shive003 <@t> umn.edu>
wrote:

> I work on all species, porcine being one of them.  I've never done a %
> survey of the number of Abs made against human epitopes that also work on
> porcine tissue, but I can give you generalizations.
>
> All of the rabbit polyclonal antibodies that I've tried have
> cross-reacted with porcine tissue.  The polyclonals that I use the most
> are the Abs against hormones, neuroendocrine markers, vasculature,
> astrocytes, etc.
> Most of the mouse monoclonal antibodies that I've tried have
> cross-reacted with porcine tissue.  These would be the intermediate
> filaments, melanoma antigens, cell proliferating antigens, neuroendocrine
> markers, etc.
> You may have more difficulty with leukocyte markers (CD markers).  They
> seem to have less homology with human markers than the above items, and
> not all cross-react, in my experience.  You only learn this by trial and
> error, unfortunately, since data about species cross-reactivity is rare.
> I have 2 polyclonal and 2 monoclonal CD markers that cross-react with
> porcine.  That is not to say that there aren't more, but that's all that
> I currently have worked up on porcine tissue.
> I have not tried Abs like ER, PR, CEA, TTF, etc.
> I've done species cross-reactivity studies with every antibody I have in
> stock (>80), so if you send me a list of the antibodies you're interested
> in (directly to me), I can let you know which ones cross-react with
> porcine tissue, and which vendor works for me.
>
> Jan Shivers
> Senior Scientist
> Pathology Teaching Program
> Histology/IHC/EM Section Head
> University of Minnesota
> Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
> 1333 Gortner Ave.
> St. Paul, MN  55108
> 612-624-7297
> shive003 <@t> umn.edu
>
> (Confidentiality Notice: This message, together with any attachments, is
> intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
> addressed and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
> think you have received this message in error, please advise the sender
> and then delete this message and any attachments immediately.)
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "RICKY MATHIS"
> <cmmathis1 <@t> bellsouth.net>

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician III
Cardiovascular Medicine
348 Biomedical Research Building
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214  USA
leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
716-829-6118 (Ph)
716-829-2665 (Fx)

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.