[Histonet] Anti-human abs work on porcine tissue

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Thu Mar 18 07:48:53 CDT 2010

I work on all species, porcine being one of them.  I've never done a %
survey of the number of Abs made against human epitopes that also work on
porcine tissue, but I can give you generalizations.

All of the rabbit polyclonal antibodies that I've tried have cross-reacted
with porcine tissue.  The polyclonals that I use the most are the Abs
against hormones, neuroendocrine markers, vasculature, astrocytes, etc.
Most of the mouse monoclonal antibodies that I've tried have cross-reacted
with porcine tissue.  These would be the intermediate filaments, melanoma
antigens, cell proliferating antigens, neuroendocrine markers, etc.
You may have more difficulty with leukocyte markers (CD markers).  They seem
to have less homology with human markers than the above items, and not all
cross-react, in my experience.  You only learn this by trial and error,
unfortunately, since data about species cross-reactivity is rare.  I have 2
polyclonal and 2 monoclonal CD markers that cross-react with porcine.  That
is not to say that there aren't more, but that's all that I currently have
worked up on porcine tissue.
I have not tried Abs like ER, PR, CEA, TTF, etc.
I've done species cross-reactivity studies with every antibody I have in
stock (>80), so if you send me a list of the antibodies you're interested in
(directly to me), I can let you know which ones cross-react with porcine
tissue, and which vendor works for me.

Jan Shivers
Senior Scientist
Pathology Teaching Program
Histology/IHC/EM Section Head
University of Minnesota
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
1333 Gortner Ave.
St. Paul, MN  55108
612-624-7297
shive003 <@t> umn.edu

(Confidentiality Notice: This message, together with any attachments, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
think you have received this message in error, please advise the sender and
then delete this message and any attachments immediately.)